Lead

Sep 22 06 8:49 AM

Tags : :

I stumbled on this. Has anyone seen it? know who is behind it?

Data is not information. Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Intelligent Design is not science.

Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Sep 22 06 11:08 AM

Here is the governing board and others involved.

Board of Directors
Andy McIntosh

Professor of Thermodynamics and Combustion Theory at the University of Leeds and author of over 100 research papers. Prof. McIntosh’s research includes biomimetics where natural mechanisms are studied with a view to using them for engineering applications. He has written numerous articles concerning the debate over Origins.

Willis B. Metcalfe
(Acting Chairman) A businessman with a long career in agriculture and publishing evangelical Christian literature in several languages.
John Perfect

A teacher with almost four decades of experience in the public and private sectors.

Steve Layfield
A science teacher with over twenty years experience in the public sector.

Maurice Roberts
Minister of the Inverness congregation of the delicious Church of Scotland (continuing). Rev. Roberts is well known as a conference speaker in many countries around the world and was formerly a school classics teacher.

Council of Reference

Stuart Burgess
Professor of Design and Nature, and Head of Mechanical Engineering at Bristol University. Prof. Burgess’ research includes analysis of insect flight mechanisms and the structural efficiency of trees. He is winner of the Worshipful Company of Turners Gold Medal for the design of the solar array deployment system on the £1.4 billion ENVISAT earth observation satellite.

John Blanchard
Author of many popular books including Evolution: fact or fiction? Has Science Got Rid of God? and Does God Believe in Atheists?

Gerard A. Chrispin
A lawyer and qualified and experienced in management, he has developed and directs Daylight Christian Prison Trust.

George Curry
Minister of Elswick Parish Church [St Stephen and St Paul], Newcastle upon Tyne. Mr Curry is the Chairman of Church Society and a governor of two schools, one primary, the other secondary.

David Harding
Pastor of Milnrow Evangelical Church, Lancashire.

Russell Healey
Formerly a Fellow of Selwyn College and Lecturer in the Engineering Department at Cambridge University, Dr Healey now teaches mathematics at a leading independent school.

Derek Linkens
Professor and Dean Emeritus, Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, University of Sheffield. Elected a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering for his research on biological systems modelling and control.

Scientific Panel

Richard Buggs
Holds a DPhil in plant ecology and evolution from the University of Oxford.

Arthur Jones
Science and Education Consultant. Dr Jones is a member of the Institute of Biology and holds a PhD from Birmingham University for research on the diversification of cichlid fish.

Tim Wells
Senior Lecturer in Neuroendocrinology at Cardiff University . Dr Wells is an internationally recognised expert in the actions of ghrelin, a recently discovered hormone produced by the stomach, and teaches hormone-related topics to undergraduate science and medical students.

I make it a lot of evangelicals, engineers and only two scientists with remotely relevant qualifications.

Data is not information. Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Intelligent Design is not science.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Sep 22 06 11:08 AM

Truthinscience? Please file alongside Democratic Republic of Congo.

The quoteminers have been hard at work on this site.

Maybe we should write to the Churchmen involved and ask how they can condone being associated with this pack of lies?

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Sep 22 06 11:34 AM

I am so mad at this website I sent them an email asking them if they thought the general public should be asked to set the science syllabus, as this is the implication of their quoting 'that' survey.

Proud to be 50% banana

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Sep 22 06 11:42 AM

I am very concerned about this site. It contains lesson plans full of their misrepresentations of the currculum and of science.

Can we raise this with the appropriate minister (Jim Knight replaced Jacqui Smith IIRC) and with the relevant examinations board?

This is important not just for the campaign but for the kids who are going to go into exams full of this crap and get failed.

Paul

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Sep 22 06 1:36 PM

QUOTE (Kyuuketsuki @ September 22, 2006 02:23 pm)
QUOTE (Heselbine @ September 22, 2006 12:54 pm)
I can't believe they put up the list of 600 Ph.Ds.

Where?

Kyu

In the FAQs

It's just the DI's old discredited list...

These guys seem to be very American, although they deny it....

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Sep 22 06 2:34 PM

Come to think of it wee wee feees and public school teachers... maybe they are not Americans..

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Sep 22 06 3:02 PM

A quick look at their lesson plans show that intend to teach the contraversy, in fact if you look really close thats all Truth in Science intend to teach - there lessons plans include bugger-all actual science as far as I can see (and not even any religion). If teachers want to teach contraversy they should do a round-table debate with their class on stem-cell research at least it would be topical!

SSDC - or perhaps that should "SS Different Packaging", for all their trumpeting of their members's CV's they are still flogging the same old increasing decayed dead horses.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Sep 22 06 3:58 PM

QUOTE (Sandy @ September 22, 2006 08:49 am)
I stumbled on this. Has anyone seen it? know who is behind it?

I've been following Truth in Science like a hawk for months and months and long concluded that it is potentially the most dangerous fundamentalist creationist organisation in the UK. It's purpose is to attack science in schools.

There is some background stuff on it here:

And here is a list of the rogues involved with links to what they are about:

Within an hour or so I may be able to have a good guess as to who is running it.

Watch out. This outfit is bloody dangerous, well organised and funded. It's had full time staff for well over a year and the names behind it are the leading creationist "academics" in the UK.

The people involved are linked to the Vardy schools, the Chriistian Institute, Answers in Genesis, the Biblical Creation Society and Evangelical Times (and just about every fundamentalist organisation you can think of).

Truth in Science is BAD NEWS.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Sep 22 06 4:41 PM

QUOTE (Millipj @ September 22, 2006 11:42 am)
I am very concerned about this site. It contains lesson plans full of their misrepresentations of the currculum and of science.

Can we raise this with the appropriate minister (Jim Knight replaced Jacqui Smith IIRC) and with the relevant examinations board?

This is important not just for the campaign but for the kids who are going to go into exams full of this crap and get failed.

Paul

I think that this is a very good idea.

To put it bluntly the TIS people have been lobbying the government and it is about time we showed them up for what they are.

A lot of the names involved in Truth in Science were signatories to the 2002 letter to Estelle Morris - Linkens, Burgess, McIntosh (he was spokesman), Jones.....

Moreover, its wrth emembering that the "Dr" in Dr John Blanchard is phoney. His PhD is from Pacific International University -a diploma mill which is, IIRC, owned by Carl Baugh. Baugh is a well known US creationist nutcase. He is so bonkers that even the creationists want nothing to do with him.

Play on this. An organisation that has bogus PhD holders is in no position to advise anyone on education. It is tacictly stating that qualifications don't matter. In education they do!

Just as a tip to everyone, I have put together a very large web site, with the help of other Blackshadow forum members, at It contains all the basic info I am presenting here and has a lot more on it. IIRC it has about 150 pages of text.

McIntosh has been bragging that he wants to turn TIS into another Christian Institute. That means he will be using it as a vehicle for lobbying the government (and the Scottish government).

TIS isn't going to go away. We already have a lot of dirt on it. The more we can get the better. Let's try and stop it before McIntosh and Burgess get their hands on children.

Me thinks letters to local MPs may not go amiss at this stage. The stuff they are presenting on their web site is aimed at all schools in the UK. I now that I now have enough substance on TIS to write to my local MP bringing up the subject.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Sep 22 06 4:49 PM

QUOTE (Heselbine @ September 22, 2006 04:42 pm)
Is anyone else feeling like me? Like I want to ACTUALLY DO something about these people but I don't really know what to do?

There's lots we can do.

I'll be drafting out a letter to my MP tomorrow which I would be happy to let you see as a template to write to your own MP.

Dunno about the rest of the peole in this group, but I'll have my thinking cap on tonight to see what can be done.

I've been sitting on something for months which I think now needs to be followed up very quickly.

Roger

PS - I have already done a lot about Truth in Science - I've put together pages and pages f research on it, primarily as I have been expecting the eventuality that emerged today. Forwarned is forarmed or some such nonsense.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Sep 22 06 5:56 PM

QUOTE (Sandy @ September 22, 2006 11:08 am)
Here is the governing board and others involved.

Board of Directors
Andy McIntosh

Professor of Thermodynamics and Combustion Theory at the University of Leeds and author of over 100 research papers. Prof. McIntosh’s research includes biomimetics where natural mechanisms are studied with a view to using them for engineering applications. He has written numerous articles concerning the debate over Origins.

Willis B. Metcalfe
(Acting Chairman) A businessman with a long career in agriculture and publishing evangelical Christian literature in several languages.
John Perfect

A teacher with almost four decades of experience in the public and private sectors.

Steve Layfield
A science teacher with over twenty years experience in the public sector.

Maurice Roberts
Minister of the Inverness congregation of the delicious Church of Scotland (continuing). Rev. Roberts is well known as a conference speaker in many countries around the world and was formerly a school classics teacher.

Council of Reference

Stuart Burgess
Professor of Design and Nature, and Head of Mechanical Engineering at Bristol University. Prof. Burgess’ research includes analysis of insect flight mechanisms and the structural efficiency of trees. He is winner of the Worshipful Company of Turners Gold Medal for the design of the solar array deployment system on the £1.4 billion ENVISAT earth observation satellite.

John Blanchard
Author of many popular books including Evolution: fact or fiction? Has Science Got Rid of God? and Does God Believe in Atheists?

Gerard A. Chrispin
A lawyer and qualified and experienced in management, he has developed and directs Daylight Christian Prison Trust.

George Curry
Minister of Elswick Parish Church [St Stephen and St Paul], Newcastle upon Tyne. Mr Curry is the Chairman of Church Society and a governor of two schools, one primary, the other secondary.

David Harding
Pastor of Milnrow Evangelical Church, Lancashire.

Russell Healey
Formerly a Fellow of Selwyn College and Lecturer in the Engineering Department at Cambridge University, Dr Healey now teaches mathematics at a leading independent school.

Derek Linkens
Professor and Dean Emeritus, Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, University of Sheffield. Elected a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering for his research on biological systems modelling and control.

Scientific Panel

Richard Buggs
Holds a DPhil in plant ecology and evolution from the University of Oxford.

Arthur Jones
Science and Education Consultant. Dr Jones is a member of the Institute of Biology and holds a PhD from Birmingham University for research on the diversification of cichlid fish.

Tim Wells
Senior Lecturer in Neuroendocrinology at Cardiff University . Dr Wells is an internationally recognised expert in the actions of ghrelin, a recently discovered hormone produced by the stomach, and teaches hormone-related topics to undergraduate science and medical students.

I make it a lot of evangelicals, engineers and only two scientists with remotely relevant qualifications.

Some comments

Metcalfe's books are in many Christian bookshops

Layfield ; I trust everyone has read his lecture on science education doen for the Christian Institute. I have an e-copy. He argues that lunar craters are caused by the fall. "An apple a day causes a crater a day!"

George Curry was ordained in the diocese of Carlisle in 1975 and is now a vicar in Elswick. Heavily involved with the Christian Institute and Emmanuel College. Trained at Cranmer Hall Durham with my wife and myself. He was regarded as the hottest curry available. Gave no indications of YEC while at Cranmer.

Harding is McIntosh's minister

Arthue Jones is a director of the Assoc of Christian TEachers and trying to force YEC onto them. The head of one of my church schools is also a director

Micahel

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Sep 22 06 8:04 PM

QUOTE (Michael @ September 22, 2006 05:56 pm)
Some comments

Metcalfe's books are in many Christian bookshops

Layfield ; I trust everyone has read his lecture on science education doen for the Christian Institute. I have an e-copy. He argues that lunar craters are caused by the fall. "An apple a day causes a crater a day!"

George Curry was ordained in the diocese of Carlisle in 1975 and is now a vicar in Elswick. Heavily involved with the Christian Institute and Emmanuel College. Trained at Cranmer Hall Durham with my wife and myself. He was regarded as the hottest curry available. Gave no indications of YEC while at Cranmer.

Harding is McIntosh's minister

Arthue Jones is a director of the Assoc of Christian TEachers and trying to force YEC onto them. The head of one of my church schools is also a director

Micahel

Michael,

Thanks for this info.

I will follow up on it.

Roger

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Sep 22 06 10:55 PM

He argues that lunar craters are caused by the fall. "An apple a day causes a crater a day!"

Is this a variation on the Henry Morris claim Michael, that Lunar impact craters are a result of a battle between the archangel Michael and Satan ?

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Sep 23 06 4:47 AM

QUOTE (Peter Henderson @ September 22, 2006 10:55 pm)
He argues that lunar craters are caused by the fall. "An apple a day causes a crater a day!"

Is this a variation on the Henry Morris claim Michael, that Lunar impact craters are a result of a battle between the archangel Michael and Satan ?

I dont know but it is absurd

M

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Sep 23 06 10:34 AM

QUOTE (Chris Hyland @ September 23, 2006 10:15 am)
Roger does it look like this is basically the old creationist organisations putting on a new public face?

They are people connected with AIG, BCS Christian(sick) Institute etc developing a new tactic attempting to get into education

I have been asked to report on it for Ekklesia

Regards

Michael

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help