Lead

Feb 17 06 12:06 PM

Tags : :

A few of us first came together through the famous - and had arranged a field trip to the 'Great Wen' to sample some real beer; and to attend a Darwin Day Lecture chaired by Richard Dawkins at UCL.

We were accompanied on our trip by the famous Professer - who kindly allowed us to take his photo with Prof Richard Dawkins and Susan Blackmore:

Steve Steve had been passing by on an astrobiology field trip - but found time to make a pilgrimage to the 'Royal Society':

before joing us (Steve Elliot, Corkscrew and Dean Morrison) - along with 'Sir ToeJam' and Julie Stalhut' and a couple of Steve Steve's British cousins to sample some 'Old Speckled Hen'.

We bumped into a good friend of the lecturer 'Maryon' who was kind enough to make an introduction for us:

We were joined at the lecture by 'Greek Louis from Dorset' and his charming wife 'Jaz'. I'll refrain from commenting on the content of the lecture just yet, other than to say the theme was 'memes' - and Dr Susan Blackmore is a very entertaining and engaging speaker.

The beer sampling continued after the event - Sheppard Neame's 'Spitfire' being the most appreciated beverage.

Subjects ranged from Mathemetics (here we see Corkscrew trying to explain irrational numbers to Steve Elliot):

- through homeopathy to the martial arts:

A splendid time was had by all - and as we sadly said farewell to a slightly tipsy Prof Steve Steve - we agreed that this should be the first of many such adventures!

February the 12th is Darwin Day!

Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Feb 17 06 12:42 PM

Nice photos Deano! I look insane and the Mrs looks concerned....about right then! Get 'em up on the PT!

As for "Greek Louis from Dorset", hardly! I'm about as Greek as something that isn't very Greek, but I can't deny my West Country origins (nor would I do so). The South Will Rise Again! I think the Prof with Dawkins and Blackmore makes a lovely PT story thread.

Louis

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 18 06 2:30 AM

Sorry Steve - I thought I'd put up the pics of the pre-talk beer - not sure what happened there....

Steve Elliot - Corkscrew - Dean Morrison
- with Sir ToeJam, Julie Stalhult Prof Stevie Steve and some British relatives:

Proud of my West Country origins too Louis - would Loius the 'Yettie' be more accurate?
- perhaps not - great to meet you!

February the 12th is Darwin Day!

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Feb 18 06 3:02 AM

*sniff*

wipes tear away...

nice to be remembered on such an auspicious occasion. I only wish i could have been there "in the flesh" to enjoy that most popular Spitfire brew.

what is the picture I am being represented by? I can't quite make it out.

It's always nice to put pictures to the names.

I might see if i can dig up a photo of my mug somewhere; I mostly take pics of flora and fauna these days.

I do remember the very first time i ever read Dawkin's "Blind Watchmaker".

Most persuasive arguments, even to someone who had just reached drinking age (that's 21 here in CA)! 20 years have passed since then, and I still often refer back to that work.

ah well, this time next year I'll likely be down in NZ, so maybe I can get something going there for the event.

cheers

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Feb 18 06 8:32 AM

QUOTE (Louis @ Feb 17 2006, 12:42 PM)
As for "Greek Louis from Dorset", hardly! I'm about as Greek as something that isn't very Greek, but I can't deny my West Country origins (nor would I do so). The South Will Rise Again! I think the Prof with Dawkins and Blackmore makes a lovely PT story thread.

I though you worked for that Kent company?

Nice to put some faces to names though ... Corksrew looks damned young and none of you that I could place looked like I expected.

It goes without saying that had I been thre I would have been immediately identifiable due to my seriously good looks, cool fashion sense and the bevy of beautiful juices following in my footsteps

Kyu

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Feb 20 06 11:12 AM

Kyuu,

I AM working for that lovely Kent company. I am however, originally from Dorset. Which of course explains my predilection for cider and inbreeding.

Louis

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help